Sunday, June 01, 2003

June. It's June. The panic all comes rushing out. I'm leaving in a week. I have to get stuff organized. I have to pack. My EI claim is still in limbo. I'm going away for TWO WHOLE WEEKS - 2 weeks I can't be in my beautiful apartment living my life of leisure! I need office clothes! I need contingency plans! I need to remember how to speak French! I need to show up at some address in a city I haven't been to in years and present myself and I have no idea what's going to happen next!

Then after that's over, I have to run to catch a train and come home and fall into bed and wake up and go to my graduation. Robes! High heels! Outdoors rain or shine! Former classmates and colleagues and profs! Relatives! Loved ones! Relatives meeting loved ones! A very distinguished guest! I've never been to a graduation before!

Then one day of rest, which will doubtless be full of nerves and laundry, and then WORK! Offices! Professional skills that I haven't used in months! Bilingualism! Forty hour weeks! Grownup clothes! Waking up in the morning and getting pretty and catching the subway! What do I do my first day? Walk in and sit down and wait for them to give me work, or check in with someone, or what? And what on earth do I do about a pending EI claim that has not yet been resolved when I'm employed? Angst angst angst!

No comments: