Thursday, June 12, 2003

I know I promised daily blogging, but I have nothing to say today.

Woke up, went in to training, learned about the documentation services available in the morning, had lunch with the girls (it's hard to get vegetarian pizza without olives around here. Also, it's strange to hear the people who say "au fur et au mesure" also say "le lunch"), worked on computer "training" in the afternoon, got some take-out fries, went home to the hotel, ate fries, talked to my mommy, intook various forms of media, talked to mi cielito, had a glass of wine, now I'm blogging this, then I'm going to do some homework type reading and go to sleep.

I guess I should clarify what my sociolinguistic research a few days back was all about. My mother says housecoat. I absorbed the word bathrobe from various media, so I assumed housecoat was a one-off. Then I heard it said by someone my age and got all confused, so I was thinking maybe it was a geographical thing. But further empirical research suggests that's it's a generational thing - the older generations call it a housecoat, and my generation either inherits the word housecoat from their parents or absorbs the (I assume American) word bathrobe from media (which, I think, at that age is children's books). And thanks to the people who suggested dressing gown, because I never realized that that's what a dressing gown is. I always associated it with some kind of old-fashioned garment, but now I can honestly say I own a dressing gown.

No comments: