Friday, November 28, 2008

Teach me how condos work

This morning I woke up to find I had no hot water and very little cold water. I called my super and asked what was up, he went and poked around in the bowels of the building and reset a water pump, and then I had hot water and could have a shower. YAY!

What I'm trying to figure out is how would this situation have played out if I lived in a highrise condo?

I know condo owners are responsible for maintenance of their own unit, but this problem wasn't in my unit. It was a common element that's outside my jurisdiction and beyond my diagnostic skills. So do condos have on-site people to handle problems like this? If not, how does it work?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, there is a "super" or building manager that would take care of this stuff.

Sarah Haendler said...

Generally you pay a maintenance or owner's association fee that covers the building manager/super dealing with that sort of thing.

impudent strumpet said...

Awesome! Thanks!