Saturday, November 15, 2008

Are people with white earbuds really more likely to be mugged?

A piece of information that is often repeated in the media is that you should get headphones other than the distinctive white ipod earbuds, because people like to steal ipods and the headphones are a big flashing sign showing that you have an ipod.

I find myself doubting whether this is actually true.

I see a lot of headphones walking around in my daily life, so one day I decided to count the number of ipods. On my walk from the subway to my apartment, I saw 30 confirmed ipods (either I saw the ipod itself, or I saw the ipod earbuds). I'd previously counted that I cross paths with 100 people on the same walk. (I haven't counted how many of those 100 people were wearing some kind of headphones that couldn't be confirmed as an ipod, because it's diffcult to keep multiple running tallies at once.)

So given that level of market penetration, wouldn't it behoove the thieves to assume that any headphones they see are attached to an ipod? And why would they only want ipods anyway? I haven't done extensive research (at the time when I bought my ipod the ipod was the best device for my own personal needs, but I haven't researched since), but the ipod has been on the market for seven years, surely other brands are generally competitive by now?

3 comments:

Sarah Haendler said...

I don't think other brands ARE really competitive. Microsoft tried with the Zune and pretty much fell on its face.

That said, I think I agree with you about the earbuds. I'd target the people with better headphones! (I think my earbuds are probably worth more than my actual iPod.)

impudent strumpet said...

Wow, I envy your ability to not wreck your headphones! I can't have expensive ones because I keep getting them caught in subway turnstiles and dropping them in puddles and twisting the cord too tight so I somehow hurt the wires inside etc etc. I go through like four pairs a year.

Sarah Haendler said...

I think I'm more than usually neurotic about the headphones because they cost so much, because I used to go through cheap ones pretty quickly, loosing them, breaking them, that sort of thing. I do tend to pop off the little covers off the ears though, I've had to get replacements a few times.