Monday, November 03, 2008

I think I have the weakest nickel allergy in the world

At least I assume it's nickel. When I spent an extended period of time holding my cellphone, and when I wear one of my necklaces made of an anonymous (and presumably cheap, since they were $2 each) silver-coloured metal, I get vaguely uncomfortable. Really, that's the best description, vaguely uncomfortable. My muscles tense up a bit. I get a touch edgy. My joints crack a bit louder than usual. I find myself sort of idly mindlessly scratching - I don't feel actively itchy, I'm not uncomfortable, I don't see any discolouration on my skin, but when my hands are unoccupied they end up lazily scratching. Then I put down the phone or take off the necklace and it stops.

It does piss me off that cheap jewellery is an irritant though. I want to wear jewellery, but I'm no good at it. I have no sense whatsoever of what works and what doesn't, so I have a lot of experimentation to do and I can't afford to experiment with real jewellery. Once I've gotten my look together I'll totally buy better stuff, but right now I'm still at the "Hey, this necklace length doesn't work with my bone structure. Who knew that could be a problem?" stage.

Plus, lurking over all this in the shadows, is the problem that with some metal allergies you can't get Essure...

1 comment:

Nickely Challenged said...

Yep! That is nickel, alright. I had to get a case for my iPhone. But since this was a couple years ago hopefully you know that there are nickel free jewelry around. Thanks for sharing.