Friday, November 28, 2008

Give me a good excuse to tip my supers

My awesome supers have saved my ass quite a few times lately. The internet tells me that it's customary to tip or give a gift to your supers (along with everyone else you've ever met) for xmas. I've never done this before, but I feel moved to do it this year. Thing is, I am (finally, joyfully) completely out of the xmas game. I'm not buying gifts for anyone, with the full consent of all involved. So it really doesn't seem appropriate for my only enactment of a ritual associated with a religion I have rejected to be essentially a tip on a business transaction. (They are awesome and they do save my ass, but they do that for everyone and our relationship is nothing special.)

So what I need is another day of the year I can use to give them a gift or a tip. Something that they make greeting cards for would be convenient because then I could give them a monetary tip (and thoughts on what constitutes an appropriate amount would be helpful - or what constitutes an appropriate gift.)

Thoughts?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

New Years. Gift card for something nearby (food, video rental, grocery). $25 or $50 depending what feels most appropriate.

Sarah Haendler said...

Yeah, I agree, New Year's is an equally valid opportunity to make your appreciation known. I think New Year's is when my parents tip folks they feel need tipping as well, not wanting to tie it to the religious holiday.

laura k said...

New Year's, definitely.

Although I don't celebrate Xmas or any December holiday, I use the end of December as a time to show my appreciation anyway. It's the end of the year, and I'm saying, thanks for all your help all year. New Year's works great, too.

As you can see, I'm in catch up mode.