Tuesday, November 18, 2008

How to do a reverse apology

Via Language Log, some guy walks around New York City apologizing to people who bump into him.

That took a minute, didn't it? We all do that automatically, it a basic part of Canadian etiquette.

The problem is, the guy in the article is overdoing it. His reverse apologies are really pointed and come across as passive-aggressive. A proper reverse apology has to come across as perfectly automatic, as automatic as saying thanks when the cashier hands you your change. It needs to be non-specific. "Sorry" or "Oops, sorry" will do just fine. "Sorry you dropped my apple" is petty and passive-aggressive. However, even if you are just saying the word "Sorry" and saying it automatically as soon as the incident occurs, you also need to say it like it's no big deal. Imagine you're walking through a subway station, busy day, a lot on your mind, striding briskly towards the platform (the train isn't there yet so you aren't running) and you bump into someone else. No big deal, no one is hurt, really your bag just hit their bag, no need to break stride, you say "Oops, sorry" and continue on your way, the encounter forgotten two seconds later. That's the kind of tone you need. In my corner of the world, that will elicit a sorry of equal or greater value. Doing anything bigger or more pointed for a minor incident in which you are not at fault will come across as passive-aggressive and put the other person on the defensive.

It would be interesting to repeat this experiment with someone who is fluent in reverse apologies, who does it automatically, and who isn't so actively seeking to change behaviour. Canadians who are currently in New York City (I'm sure there are some Canadians in New York City at any given time): spend a day apologizing like a Canadian and blog your findings!

4 comments:

M@ said...

I'll be in NYC for a few days around Xmas. I'll give it a try for a day and let you know what happens.

Sarah Haendler said...

I, though not Canadian, live in NYC, and I do this all the time, the throwaway reverse apology. (I'm a southerner, I think that's my excuse.)

I generally get ignored.

impudent strumpet said...

It's a southern thing too? I didn't know that! I haven't been to the US south since I was a teenager, and we were all too fascinated by the whole pop/soda/coke thing to pay attention to more subtle markers like this.

laura k said...

So many NYers are from elsewhere, there are always going to be a lot of customs all jumbled together.

I'm sure I indulged in a few reverse throwaway apologies in NYC, when I was in a good-enough mood.