Sunday, November 16, 2008

From PostSecret



An email commenter said that they did this too, and several other people in the community agreed. And, it feels bizarrely personal to admit, my first thought after he was elected was to wish that I was able to pray so I could pray for his safety. Later on I did try to pray, but I'm still incapable of it. I'm still just empitly going through motions, even though I actually wanted to be able to do it.

But it occurred to me, this might be the one thing in the history of the world that has inspired the most atheists to attempt to pray. That would be...kinda weird, kinda cool, kinda sad, kinda scary.

6 comments:

Sarah Haendler said...

Ditto. I've been hearing the same thing from a lot of my friends.

laura k said...

I totally understand the feeling. I have wished I could pray many times.

But the one thing in the history of the world? Nah.

impudent strumpet said...

Any ideas for what might have caused more atheists to pray?

laura k said...

1918 influenza pandemic?

The last really big tsunami?

No ideas, really. It's just that the world is very old, and very large. I didn't think Obama would qualify for something that large.

impudent strumpet said...

The tsunami might have done it. In terms of historical things, I was assuming that there are more atheists in raw numbers today than in the past (both because of the population of the planet and the increased acceptability of being atheist).

laura k said...

Ah, right. Raw numbers as opposed to percentages would make a big difference. Plus there have to be more atheists now, what with science and all.