Saturday, July 02, 2005

The problem with blogging Harry Potter

When I started my pre-HBP read-through, my intention was to blog everything that I thought was interesting or noteworthy or might come up later. Little details, like how on the train home at the end of COS, they're practicing disarming each other, and it's casually mentioned that Harry is quite good at it (foreshadowing his Defence expertise), or all the places where 20/20 hindsight shows us Snape's and Dumbledore's Legilimency skills.

The problem is that the books are so engrossing that I don't want to put them down to blog. And this is the one's I've already read! So then I forget what exactly I was going to say by the time I next find myself blogging.

I had planned to do a chapter-by-chapter blog of HBP as I read it, but I'm not sure whether I will do this now. In my reread I've noticed that chapters tend to end in cliffhangers, and I don't know if I can manage to put down the book at a cliffhanger and blog what I've just read.

On the other hand, doing so might cause me to slow down and savour the story rather than rushing ahead.

Oh, another thing I intended to blog: when Dumbledore intercepts Harry by the Mirror of Erised, he mentions that he has ways to make himself invisible.

No comments: