Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Tarted up and kicking ass

Train of thought originating from a post on Broadsheet where a guy was surprised when a girl who was dressed fashionably knew stuff about finance.

I found that weird, because while not all the fashion people I know are into finance, all the finance people I know are into fashion. They're the ones with the money, so they're the ones with the most kick-ass shoe collection.

But this reminds me of something I've been mulling over recently. I really enjoy being all girled up and being highly competent at the same time. Like the total enjoyment I get is greater than the sum of the enjoyment of being girled up and the enjoyment of being competent. Lugging stuff around in killer heels, or translating technical specifications in while wielding cleavage, or dissecting a computer with manicured hands - it all makes me feel slightly more kick-ass and accomplished than is really deserved.

Thinking about this article, I think I've figured out why: because it's surprising to the very type of people who would be surprised by it. It makes anyone who would underestimate me realize that they're underestimating me, all without saying a word.

1 comment:

laura k said...

I like this.

I have similar feelings about being knowledgeable about baseball - or I did in NYC. It's not as useful here.