Friday, September 26, 2008

Can I has a crystal ball plz?

I wish I knew how much time in my life as a whole is going to be spent unemployed. I'm trying to make decisions about increasing how much money I spend to upgrade quality of life - ongoing operational expenditures, not capital investments, and it is kind of a luxury although most people reading this (of the people I know) will tell me I deserve it. As long as I'm employed at my current job, I can easily afford it and it isn't an issue. But bag lady syndrome keeps kicking in and I keep thinking that instead of spending money on an ongoing luxury, I should be saving up the money to tide me over for whenever I lose my job. The optimist contingent tells me that with my skills I should be able to find another job no problem and that surely my job search wouldn't outlast my savings, but I cannot agree with them based on my own experience looking for work. Members of the optimist contingent who don't have a job like mine tell me that my job is perfectly secure, but from where I'm sitting I don't feel anywhere near as confident.

I just wish I knew, right now, how much of my life is going to be spent unemployed. I don't need to know when it will happen or even whether it will all happen in one big chunk or a month or two here and there. I just want to know how long in total. Then all I have to do is save up enough money to cover that period of time, and after that I can splurge on whatever I want.

2 comments:

laura k said...

When you're done with the ball, could I borrow it? I'd like to know if I'm going to live long enough to need our paltry "retirement" savings. Because if I'm not, I'd like to spend it on 5 or 6 really good vacations.

impudent strumpet said...

Oh I hear you on that! I have centenarian ancestors and a family history of cancer. Actuarially I have to assume a 50-year retirement, but I might not even live to 65.