Sunday, September 21, 2008

Phobia round-up

1. Scientists have found a correlation between political ideology and physiological response to perceived threats, which is interesting. But I wonder if they controlled the test for phobia? Two of those images mentioned would have given me panic attacks, and it is one of the more common phobias, but I think it's unrelated to what they were trying to test for.

2. There are people who think I should be indifferent to the presence of a phobia trigger in my home. Even though I have been given a professional opinion that as long as I can get rid of them somehow desensitization isn't necessary, a number of different people have told me that I should be just ignoring their presence, letting them wander around and do as they please. But the thing is, whether they make you panic or not, they are still an unwanted outside animal. If you walk into your bathroom and find a dog or a lizard or a bird or chipmunk or a worm or small pony, it's a problem, or at the very least a situation that needs to be addressed. You wouldn't just ignore it. Even if you like the animal - if I found a dog in my bathroom I'd totally keep it! - you'd do something as opposed to just ignoring it. Even if you personally think they aren't a problem because they're small or whatever, you should still at least be able to imagine why someone else might not ignore an unwanted outside animal.

No comments: