Monday, August 15, 2005

Why I choose to boycott Karla

It's not that I don't think people should be allowed to see this movie, it's that I think it's completely distasteful for anyone, anyone at all, from a director to a cinema operator, to be making money off of this story.

I want to make it perfectly clear, this is personal.

If you had one car drive from Lesley Mahaffey's house to Kristen French's house and another car drive from Kristen French's house to Leslie Mahaffey's house, they would meet up not too far from where I grew up.

I bear a strong resemblance to Kristen French. When I got my grade 8 grad photos back, the first thing that struck me was how much they look like Kristen French's grade 8 grad photos. She looks more like me than my own sister does.

I, and all my classmates, spent those years living in fear. We had no way of knowing that we wouldn't be next. We were trained to walk far enough away from the road so that people in passing cars couldn't reach out and grab us.

I decided that I would rather die than be raped. I role-played in my head, lay awake at night thinking of escape strategies, self-defence strategies, how I would trick or taunt or manipulate the rapist into pulling the trigger before he got to undoing his pants. I was 11 years old at the time.

I know that the only reason it wasn't me was because I was lucky. Just a stroke of dumb luck, that's all. The fact that they never chose to cruise my neighbourhood at a time when I was out and about.

I wouldn't want people making money off of the story of my torture, and I know that it's only because of dumb luck that I wasn't the one tortured. Therefore, I will not be seeing this movie, I will not be seeing any movie that plays in a cinema that is also showing this movie, and I full expect that all right-thinking people who lived in the area at this time to do the same.

Perhaps some random person in California doesn't understand what it was like to be there, but I sincerely hope that in 416 and 905 there's a huge revenue hole, perhaps large numbers of cinemas opting out because their audiences aren't interested.

Rational or no, those of us of a certain age and geographical origin feel like nothing more than serendipitous survivors. We don't want it banned because we deem it offensive, we want every individual to choose not to see it and every cinema to choose not to show it, out of respect for the victims, who could just as easily have been us.

I wouldn't want random people making money off of the story of my torture; Kristen French, Leslie Mahaffey, Tammy Homolka and Jane Doe all deserve the same.

No comments: