Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Killed and injured or wrongfully detained?

In a Letter to the Editor in the Globe and Mail, one Teck Yap asks: "Would you rather see some people wrongfully detained or many people killed or injured?" [That is the entire text of the letter as it appeared in print.]

I cannot answer that question unless someone can first clearly demonstrate to me that this is an either/or situation - that detaining people without full proof etc. actually does prevent people from being killed an injured. Then it's a question of the details of how many people are detained vs. killed and injured, and the exact conditions of the detentions, deaths and injuries.

However, I can tell you that I, personally, would rather be killed or injured than wrongfully detained.

Why? Well, if I were wrongfully detained it is quite likely that I would be sexually humiliated, maybe even sexually assaulted, and kept in a cell where bugs would crawl all over me, all this for an indefinite period of time. I would come out permanently damaged psychologically, unable to support myself or contribute effectively to society, and would spend the rest of my days looking for an opportunity to commit suicide, if I were not tortured to death during my wrongful detention.

I would find it a much more desireable fate to come to a quick and painless end, or even a bloody and dirty end without ever having to be sexually humiliated, sexually assaulted, or have bugs crawl all over me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the question really can't be answered until you have some idea of what 'wrongfully detained' entails. It could be just about anything from a relatively minor inconvenience to the kind of humiliation and/or torture you worry about.

I think, in most cases, detainment would be preferable to being killed or injured. But if I was the one being wrongfully detained, my opinion might change.