Friday, August 19, 2005

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

I am in love with the protagonist of this book. He is my soulmate. Unfortunately, he's only nine years old. And fictional.

He's an eccentric, eclectic little boy, possibly with Asperger Syndrome. His father died in the World Trade Centre, and he's on a mission to find the lock that belongs to a key left behind by his father. But this summary hardly does justice to the story. It's beautiful and tragic and bittersweet and better than the sum total of thoughts I'll ever have in my life. And the author's only three years older than me. (Insert brief OMG I'll never amount to anything angst here).

This book is on par with Life of Pi or The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. Read it now!

1 comment:

NickLuft said...

Interesting that you link that book to the two other books. I have read Life of Pi and liked it, but did not rank it highly because I did not like the ending.

My wife recommended "Curious Incident" to me, partly as it is set in the last town I lived in for five years, Swindon, and partly because it is so good. It is my next read, after I finish some fantstic short stories by Margaret Atwood "Wilderness Tips".

Anyway I have added this book to my to read list. Thanks for the recommendation