Saturday, August 20, 2005

Things I don't understand

One thing I really don't understand is people with absolutely no tolerance whatsoever for complaining/bad moods.

This seems to be primarily an internet phenomenon. Someone in a blog or an online community or a character in work of fiction being discussed complains about something or is having a hard time or is anything other than bright and cheerful and amusing, even for a moment, and someone is jumping down their throat telling them to stop moaning and complaining and be fun and amusing again. (Which I, personally, find more annoying than the original complaining - and I haven't even had this happen yet when I was the one complaining!)

I find myself wondering what it's like to be in that kind of brain, because I really cannot wrap my mind around being so pissed off that someone is in a bad mood that you feel the need to reprimand them. I have had situations where I found someone's bad mood tiring, but my instinct is to help them if I can, and then back off until I and they get into a place where their mood does not exhaust me. I cannot fathom a grown adult having so little patience and/or empathy and/or tact that they feel the need to scold people who are in a bad mood or having a difficult time for not being completely cheerful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think there's a difference between the occasional bad mood and what seems to be a constant bad mood.

I am a co-moderator at a sports-based message board for fans of the Minnesota Twins baseball team. I really like it most of the time, as most of the posters are serious baseball fans and even when I don't agree with their opinion, I still enjoy the different perspective and how they support the opinion, etc.

There's one guy in particular, though, who is just persistently negative. We have a game thread most every day, just people watching or listening to the game and making comments on the plays, managerial decisions, whatever. This guy never says anything but "boy, Romero sucks, we should just release him right now" or "wow, nice catch, Stewart, geez, he is so mediocre."

The other night I posted "*tries to remember the last post from (username)that contained even a smidgen of positive thought...gives up* He later responded with "I am POSITIVE we're going to lose this game with Mays pitching." Ah, at least that was a little creative.

Speaking of wrapping around a mind, I cannot fathom why someone with that kind of persistent mood even bothers to post. I don't understand why he is a apparently a fan of something that appears to cause him so much misery and makes him appear as such an overwhelmingly negative person to the rest of the community.