Friday, August 05, 2005

An open letter to Stephen Harper

Dear Mr. Harper,

Thank you for putting the idea of tax deductions for transit passes out there for public dialogue. It's an excellent idea whose time has come.

However, it is not enough to make me even consider voting for you.

Your party has been actively working against same-sex marriage and promoting privatization of our health care system. When I read your party's platform in depth prior to the 2004 election, I remember distinctly that you would not be strengthening the social safety net in any way, and some of your policies may even have been a threat to my livelihood.

I calculated that a tax deductible transit pass would save me less money than I earn in a day. That is nowhere near enough to make me even think about reconsidering my voting priorities. In fact, I would personally pay you that amount to withdraw your candidate from my riding, if that were at all a plausible or ethical thing to do. Basically, your party goes against everything I need from a government and everything I want my federal government to stand for, and one or two hundred dollars back in my pocket isn't going to change that.

Mr. Harper, try harder next time.

Other parties, why not add this idea to your own platforms?

No comments: