Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Worms

(Content warning: graphic descriptions of worms. In case, like, you couldn't tell from the title.)

When I was a kid, quite often after it rained there's be worms all over the sidewalks, and it would be SO gross and it would SMELL like worms outside.

It just occurred to me that that hardly ever happens any more.

Possibilities:

1. It's because I live in a city now. More paved areas = less grass for worms to live in. I think this is unlikely, because I live on a residential street and there are lawns at nearly every building. I would notice at least on the side streets.

2. It's because I live in an older neighbourhood. I don't know (and can't google up in 30 seconds) precisely when my area was first developed, but historical fact has buildings on my section of Yonge St. in the 1830s. The neighbourhood where I grew up, on the other hand, was built in 1979/1980, before which the area was farmland. Maybe worms prefer natural areas as opposed to paved and built-up areas, so the local worm population has died out or emigrated.

3. Maybe global warming or climate change or some other factor is reducing the worm population.

2 comments:

laura k said...

I had the same experience, and I've always assumed it was the change to an urban environment.

Because you and were kids during different decades, and we both saw the worms, that lends itself to explanation #1.

Except we didn't have sidewalks where I grew up. The worms were in the street and on our driveway.

impudent strumpet said...

Do you get more worms in Mississauga than in NYC?