Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Things They Should Invent: if a store doesn't accept returns, leave the merchandise with them anyway

I'm in the midst of an ongoing battle with my hair, trying to convince it to hold a curl. I've already bought quite a few pieces of equipment that are supposed to curl my hair, only to find that they just don't. So not only have I spent all this money on stuff that doesn't work, but I have it all cluttering up my apartment. And you can't return hair equipment because it's a personal care item and it's been in my hair.

So I think what I'm going to do next time I buy something that doesn't work is go into the store with my stick-straight hair and try to return it. Then when they say no, I'm going to leave it with them so they have the burden of disposing of it.

If everyone does this with everything that doesn't do its job and is unreturnable, maybe they'll start selling us stuff that actually works.

3 comments:

laura k said...

Why are you so intent on trying to make your hair curl?

Also, couldn't you get a permanent, or body wave, or whatever it is called now? Or perhaps you only want it to curl sometimes.

impudent strumpet said...

I can't do it and it's an essential skill that's missing from my repetoire. It's like if you didn't own a job interview-appropriate suit or didn't know how to make a dinner that's suitable for serving to guests.

I don't want a perm because particularly need it to be curly all the time, plus I hate the way perms look when they're growing out, especially on people with thin hair like mine. I just need to have the option of doing it when occasion/outfit/mood demands.

laura k said...

Curling hair as an essential skill, how interesting. Keep us posted.