Wednesday, April 22, 2009

What is the environmental impact of gardening soil?

Today for Earth Day people kept trying to give me seeds and plants. I refused them because I have nowhere to plant them. I live in a highrise and don't have rights to any ground whatsoever. So someone told me that I could plant them in pots on my balcony, but I don't own pots or soil and I'm sure as hell not buying dirt!

Then I got thinking. You can buy dirt. Which means they removed the dirt from the ground somewhere (I don't think you can manufacture soil? So what is the environmental impact of removing that healthy soil from wherever it originally lived?

1 comment:

laura k said...

This is going to sound really dumb, but don't they also make soil, by composting and mixing that with inferior soil or sand? There isn't a finite amount of soil in the world, is there?