Monday, April 13, 2009

Things They Should Study: bullies who tell their victims they should kill themselves

Today's Annie's Mailbox has a girl whose bully is leaving her MySpace messages saying "Why don't you just go and kill yourself already?"

I've heard of this bullying method before, although it was never done to me, and I really think someone should research it. We could use more information about the perps motives and what they're thinking, because this makes even less sense than most other bullying techniques.

My bullies bullied me when we were unwillingly all in the same place - at school or on the bus mostly. But in this technique, the bullies go out of their way contact the victim at home outside of school hours. If they really think the victim is so worthless they should commit suicide, why would they go out of their way to contact her during free time that isn't being marred by her presence?

Also, I don't know if this is broadly applicable, but within my own circle the victims who were being told to suicide were far cooler than me. (To me they looked like they were on par with their bullies in terms of coolness, but they were all several levels above me so it's possible I couldn't see the distinction.) In callously cold and objective terms, I was a far better candidate for suicide than these victims, but no one ever suggested that I should commit suicide. And now that I think about it, those particular bullies were never cruel to me. We certainly weren't friends and some of us didn't quite get along in a sort of cold and distant and avoiding each other way, but they never actually bullied me. Why would they do something so much more drastic to the cooler victim while leaving the uncool victim alone?

I'd love for someone to seek out adults who used to bully this way and find out about their motivations and how they chose their victims. Even moreso than regular bullying, it's a giant mystery to me.

2 comments:

laura k said...

"I'd love for someone to seek out adults who used to bully this way and find out about their motivations and how they chose their victims."

I'd love for someone to seek out adults who used to bully at all, and hear all about it. I wonder if/when they arrive at any insights into their behaviour.

Also, I know I've mentioned this before, but there's a movie called Ben X that has to do with bullying. It's very intense, and/but very good.

impudent strumpet said...

I found this guy once (can't seem to google him back up now) who says he's a former bully and talks to school groups, but he seems to be more focused on preventing kids from becoming bullies. Which is certainly worthy, but I was looking at his site more interested in what my younger self could have done to avoid being bullied, or what exactly my bullies were thinking. He was more potential-bully-focused, and I'm looking for a more victim-focused approach. He did seem to have insight, but it wasn't presented in a way that answered my questions.

I think I'll send a suggestion to the Toronto Public Library that when they introduce the Living Book program one of their books should be a former bully.