Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Rogers tech support: the good and the bad

The bad: there was a prolonged internet outage in my area yesterday.

The good: when I called Rogers tech support, I got an automated announcement informing me that there's an outage in my area and giving me an ETA for service to come back online. This quickly gave me the information I needed and saved me a lot of pressing buttons and waiting and troubleshooting.

The bad: service wasn't back online by the ETA given.

The bad: even though service wasn't back online, the automated announcement was gone.

The good: I only had to wait under 10 minutes to speak to an agent, and they gave me an estimated hold time going in.

The bad: the interrupting "we appreciate your call, please continue to hold" sort of message is way too frequent.

The good: the agent accepted my troubleshooting and my explanation that there was a previous outage, and confirmed that my area is still out.

The bad: the agent was unable to give me an ETA.

The good: the agent arranged for me to be called back when service was back online.

The bad: I was never called back.*

The possibly good, possibly bad, depending on your sleep schedule: perhaps the reason why I was never called back was because service came back online sometimes between 1:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m.

The good: service was back online when I woke up this morning.

The bad: after being out for somewhere between 14 and 18 straight hours.

*Update: I just got the call back - eight hours after I noticed that it started working

No comments: