Thursday, April 02, 2009

Question for anyone who's ever worked retail

What's the time-frame before closing when it's annoying for customers to come in because they're getting in the way of your closing chores?

When I worked food service we really needed an uninterrupted hour to get all our closing done, so because of that I try to avoid going into stores an hour before closing. However, it occurs to me that you might not need as much time in retail because you probably don't have as much cleaning to do. Unless, like, you do and I can't see it.

So what's the timeframe where you really want me to just go away and come back tomorrow?

4 comments:

karin said...

I think it depends. I've only ever worked in bookstores, so when I say that leaving 5 minutes before we close is fine, that might just be because it's not like we have to re-hang clothes and tidy the floor. Whenever it's super really busy and we really DO need to clean the floor, we have people staying late to clean anyway so it's still not like it matters as long as you leave 5 minutes or so before the store closes.

Me said...

I work in retail. Have done for years.

impudent strumpet said...

@karin: are the people staying late scheduled to stay late and they're getting paid for their time? If so, that's cool, but if not those are the people I don't want to inconvenience.

@Orhan: and what time do you want customers to stop coming into your store?

Me said...

Business hours the way they are seem sufficent, I just hate customers who linger in the store long after we've closed because they know we wont kick them out. Or worse, when groups of customers wait until the last 15mins of the day to pick up 50 inch TV's.