Sunday, February 08, 2009

"You're so quiet! You never talk!"

When I was a kid, my peers would often say to me "You're so quiet!" "You never talk!" I had no idea what to say in response.

As an adult I'm better at thinking of clever responses than I was as a kid, but to this day I still have no idea what they wanted or expected me to say in response to that. Now I'd probably answer "You're so quiet!" with "Aren't you glad?" and "You never talk!" with "What do you want me to talk about?" (wide eyes, raised eyebrows, open hands, body language communicating that I'm ready and willing to talk about whatever it is but I have no idea what it is). But I still have no idea how they expected me to answer or what they were getting at.

Googling around this idea, I found stories of other people being asked outright "How come you never talk?" or "Are you always this quiet?" I think today I'd answer these questions with "It's either that or babble mindlessly. I suck at coming up with the appropriate quality and quantity of conversation." I've found in general that when I openly, matter-of-factly and unapologetically state my personality flaws, people act like they don't believe me or like they think I'm kidding, but it totally smooths over the potential tension from those personality flaws. For example, someone wanted to take my picture, so I said "Only if you let me fix my make-up first. I'm entirely too vain and shallow to let anyone take my picture with imperfect make-up." She acted like she thought I was kidding, but she still patiently waited while I fixed my make-up before she took the picture, which has NEVER happened before! Usually I get a candid picture taken against my will and/or a bunch of crap about being so vain and shallow as to not want my picture taken with a shiny forehead.

5 comments:

laura k said...

People are so annoying.

Why do people think it's ok to say "you're so quiet, you never talk"? Bah.

impudent strumpet said...

I just really want to know what they were thinking, what they expected to happen.

laura k said...

Maybe they weren't thinking at all. They have a thought, and out it pops.

Anonymous said...

I keep getting that from my professor at least twice every time I come to her class. One day I just walked out lol. It's extremely irritating. I have a million things planned that I want to say back, but when the time comes I never do...

It's like out of the what? 70 kids in my class she only picks on my personality flaw. There's this girl behind me who blabs allll the time. Non stop. Blah blah blah.

Good post. I'm glad I'm not the only one who went through that MY ENTIRE LIFE. lol

Anonymous said...

"That's a weird question. It's kind of like asking someone why are you so short or why are you so tall? Some people are just quiet types. But don't worry, I have never and nor am I planning to murder anyone." This is what I would love to say, but I'm too shy to be so snarky. However I have used "I came to this planet to observe."