Friday, February 06, 2009

No wonder we have a national inferiority complex

See these babies?

In the US they retail for $29.99. In Canada they retail for $49.99. In the US, you can buy them from the website and they go up to size 13. In Canada, you can't shop through the website and you're very very lucky if the stores have a few random stray size 11s (and you have to go to each store to check.) In the US, they come in black and yellow. In Canada, I've seen them only in black.

On top of all this, the US website won't even ship to Canada. Not even for exorbitant shipping costs. They could totally have charged me $20 shipping on a $29.99 purchase and I would have still have come away feeling like I won. But no, they won't deign to let me buy their shoes for any price, leaving me with no choice but to wander from store to store, cap in hand, begging for a rare and precious scrap of size 11 at a 60% markup.

3 comments:

Sarah Haendler said...

Good grief.

Next time just ask and I'll hit the payless on the way to the subway for you...

impudent strumpet said...

I finally found them! (For the googlers: Yonge & Charles location, just south of Bloor).

I wouldn't even be resenting paying $50 if I didn't know they were $30 in the states. And I wouldn't know they were $30 in the states if they'd have a decent Canadian website.

laura k said...

That explains why so many Canadians have that strange (IMO) reaction when they hear I moved from the US: "Why would anyone from the States want to move here?? We all want to move there!" Perfect example.