Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Today I am ashamed of Ontario

A sexual assault victim is forced to uncover more of her body than she is comfortable with while testifying in court.

Shame on you Mr. Justice Norris Weisman.

I am so surprised to see this coming from a judge. I read a lot of court decisions for someone who doesn't work in the legal field (they're an excellent translation resource) and the usual more I read the more respect I have for judges. The vast majority of the time they come across as measured and nuanced and intelligent.

But this is just so...wrong! It's like something a 9-year-old would come up with parroting a closed-minded parent without applying critical thinking skills.

I look forward to the Superior Court overturning this decision and setting a sensible precedent.

1 comment:

laura k said...

Terrible. Terrible terrible.