Friday, February 06, 2009

Why don't I type faster?

I started learning to type at the age of 9 with this computer game my parents gave me. It was slow going and it took me about a year to be able to touch type, and even then I could only do about 30 wpm. But my speed slowly increased, and by the age of 13 I was doing 100 wpm.

And to this day, I type 100 wpm.

Why hasn't my typing speed increased in the last 15 years? I type at the same speed that I did before the internet! Shouldn't it be getting faster?

1 comment:

laura k said...

I think there's always going to be an upward limit on any physical skill, depending on the person's dexterity, eye-hand coordination, strength, etc. It would be the same for running, swimming, etc. I think.

My typing has gotten slower, because my fingers aren't as nimble as they were 10 years ago, from arthritis.