Saturday, December 20, 2008

My 2009 New Year's resolution

In keeping with my tradition of reckless and irresponsible resolutions, my 2009 New Year's resolution is Shut Up And Buy It Already!

I recently realized that the vast majority of things I buy make me happy, and those that don't (most often cosmetics misfires) feel like acceptable collateral damage. Unsuccessful purchases don't feel bad for very long, denying myself a purchase because "Oh, I shouldn't!" doesn't feel good (not even when I appeal to my base and very unattractive need to feel smug and superior), and successful purchases always feel very good.

Therefore, as long as I'm employed and the purchase won't put me into the red or require breaking into my emergency funds, I will buy everything I covet. If I regret a purchase, I will learn from the experience. Since I've never messed up financially, I can afford a few learning experiences if necessary.

6 comments:

Fran said...

This score just in:
Marketers 1
Impudent Strumpet 0
;-)

laura k said...

Excellent! I applaud you.

And not only because I did the same thing for myself 10 or so years ago. :) My equation is a little different, as I'm often temporarily in the red and don't care, but it's the same idea.

Marketers have nothing to do with. It's about happiness, living in the now, and being good to ourselves.

impudent strumpet said...

So it seems no matter what I do, Fran think I've succumbed to merketers. Ergo, I can do whatever the hell I want.

laura k said...

"I can do whatever the hell I want."

Always.

Unknown said...

My comment was a reference to your earlier post at https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=4121962&postID=9202437155912322295 , in which you said if you shop, the marketers win.

impudent strumpet said...

I just don't want my shopping allocated to xmas. I don't care if I'm consumerist in general, I just don't want xmas to get credit for my non-xmas shopping.