Tuesday, December 16, 2008

For thinking about

Forget everything you know about Montadhar Al-Zaydi for a second.

Imagine someone throws shoes at you. You duck, they miss, you are uninjured.

Would it even occur to you to press charges?

I don't think it would even occur to me. I'd want to get away from them or for them to be removed from where I am, but once that's done there's not much more than WTF. If the shoes hit me and broke my glasses or damaged my teeth or hurt my eye or bruised my face, it would probably occur to me to press charges. But if I was uninjured, I'd probably get no further than flummoxed and glad it's over.

Now you can remember everything you know about Montadhar Al-Zaydi again.

Politically, the best possible thing George W. Bush could do is inisite that Mr. Al-Zaydi be freed and no charges be pressed on the basis that he was simply exercising the rights and freedoms that the US has so generously won for him.

But since that's not gonna happen, you can sign a petition to have him freed. (h/t L-girl)