Sunday, July 22, 2007

Why I don't think small towns are better

The Toronto Star talks about lessons we could learn from a small town.

I have some questions about this Leamington place:

- Can you walk down the street holding hands with a member of the same sex and be treated with just as much respect as if you were holding hands with a member of the opposite sex?
- Can you go about your business in a headscarf and get treated with just as much respect as if your clothing was unmarked (in the linguistic sense of the word?)
- Can you be an atheist without people trying to convert you or force you to pray in public?
- Can you cross the street on foot without drivers honking impatiently and telling you to get a car?
- Are groceries available at 2 am?
- Is makeup available to suit non-aryan skintones?
- Can you have your lover spend the night without the neighbours gossiping?
- Can you have crabgrass in your lawn without the neighbours bitching?
- Can you have a public conversation in a foreign language without people complaining?

I grew up in a town about the size of Leamington, and the answer to all these questions was no. In my Toronto life, the answer is yes.

Now I've never been to Leamington. Maybe there the answer to all these questions is yes. Maybe it's just that my small-town experience is pre-21st-century. But personally, if the cost of living somewhere where all the answers are yes is that no one will pull over for my funeral procession, I'll quite happily accept that deal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was in Leamington about three weeks ago, and from what I can gather, the answer is pretty much no.

laura k said...

This would have been a great letter to the Star. I suppose it's too late now, but I wish you had sent it. (Or maybe you did.)

OK, I'm caught up now, over and out.