Saturday, July 28, 2007

Things They Should Invent: pay-per-use Zip.ca

Zip.ca is based on the assumption that you want to watch a lot of music. You pay per month, and can have as many movies as you want for as long as you want. And if you watch a lot of movies, that's great!

But I don't watch a lot of movies. Some months, I may not watch any movies at all. It isn't even worth paying the $10/month package for Zip because 2 movies/month is A LOT for me. The two-week free trial is far too short for me, because, unless I'm off work, I'm not necessarily going to have time to sit down and watch a movie (especially with a DVD, where I want to watch all the features too) in any given two-week period unless I'm taking significant time off work at the same time. The only reason I'm even considering subscribing to Zip is because the selection at my local Blockbuster sucks.

So what I want is the option to pay Zip for each DVD I rent, so I don't have to pay money for months where I don't watch any movies at all (or feel obligated to watch 2 movies/month to get my money's worth). I'd also be very happy if the free trial was for a certain number of DVDs rather than for a certain number of days.

2 comments:

laura k said...

I guess they figure that if you don't want a lot of movies, the regular rental methods work for you. I can understand your desire, though. It's a good idea.

impudent strumpet said...

That would work if all movies were interchangeable, or if I liked to watch a movie for the sake of watching a movie. Which some people do, but I don't. I'm more about watching a specific movie for a specific reason, and having to make time to do so.