Sunday, July 29, 2007

Abstract or concrete?

A question that often comes up in Myers-Briggs and similar personality test thingies is "Do you prefer the abstract or the concrete?"

The problem with me is that I like my tangible to be abstract and my intangible to be concrete.

If we're building a bridge, I'd rather be translating the technical specifications for the bridge than attaching the girders together. If we're planning a party, I'd rather think up the menu than work out the seating plan. If we're starting a household, I'd rather draw up the budget than arrange the furniture. Whe it comes to real, hands-on things, I prefer my contribution to be more of an idea than a physical thing you can put your hands on.

But if I'm writing an essay, it I want it to be about concrete ideas rather than vague abstractions. If I'm going to have a religion, I want to be able to grok everything (I've never liked that Holy Spirit fellow). If you want me to subscribe to your values, everything has to make logical sense when applied to the real world.

So I can never answer that question on the MBTI.

No comments: