Saturday, June 09, 2007

Things They Should Invent: The Galaxy Song in metric

Monty Python's Galaxy Song (lyrics) (Youtube) is very helpful. You learn the song (songs being very easy to learn) and you have all these numbers that you need in introductory astrophysics. Unfortunately, it's in imperial units, and the vast majority of the world does physics in metric. I have a vague idea of the relationship between metric and imperial units so I could use it as a sort of backup checkpoint in physics class (if my numbers were way off from a rough conversion of the song, I'd double check my work), and it still sometimes helps when playing Jeopardy, but it would be far more useful in metric. Someone should rewrite it into metric, while keeping it tuneful and everything. (I've tried, but I can't keep the tune.) This would be far more useful to society in whole.

No comments: