Friday, June 15, 2007

Tanlines

When I was in high school, everyone would roll up the sleeves of their t-shirts (sometiems clamping them in place with bra straps) when they went outside in the sun, so as to avoid farmer tan.

I don't know if it's a Toronto thing or a 21st century thing, but here and now no one does that. Not even poorly-dressed high-school students sunbathing in between classes. People wear t-shirts with the sleeves down, or people wear sleeveless tops. In my entire Toronto life, I have not seen a single person do this.

I'm disappointed about this. I hate having a farmer tan, but since I don't wear sleeveless tops to the office (both because it's very difficult to find a sleeveless top that's not overly sexy, and because I don't want to have to worry about my armpits looking professional), so most of my summer wardrobe does have short sleeves. I'd love to roll up my sleeves when I'm outside - and I'd even be happy to discreetly use my purse straps to hold them up rather than my bra straps - but literally no one else does it, so I'd be the only one. And, for all I know, that might scream "OMG, she's so 90s!" or "OMG, she's so 905!" (Funny that 90s and 905 look so similar)

No comments: