Friday, May 27, 2005

Two unrelated etiquette questions

1. Suppose you're walking down the sidewalk when you come up behind someone who is walking far too slowly, and for whatever reason you have no room to pass them. How, logistically, do you walk behind them at an excruciatingly slow pace without your body language saying "OMG, I am walking SO slowly, I am SO put out!"? Whenever I find myself in this situation, I end up either taking extremely tiny steps or taking a step, then pausing, then taking another step, then pausing. I think both these actions communicate a sort of exaggerated passive-aggressive eye-rolling "This is SO SLOW, but I'm not going to complain, no, don't mind me, I don't have anywhere that I need to be or anything..." How does a fast walker walk slowly and make it look natural?

2. Today's Vine brought up the fact that you aren't supposed to wear black, white or red to a wedding. But what about patterns? Can I wear that retro black dress with 1940s-style white dots? Can I wear black with red flowers and white accents? Can I wear a plain black skirt with a top in a different colour? Can I wear my black, white and red skirt with a top in one of these three colours? What if it's a bad fashion season (like, oh, say, Spring 2005) and the only appropriate dresses available are lime green or hot pink - is it better to wear red than one of those ridiculously bright colours? What if my choices are black/white/red or some pastel that makes me look so sickly that everyone asks if I'd like to lie down or if I need a glass of water? I totally see the reason why you shouldn't wear a plain white (white's for the bride) or black (for mourning) or red (hello, I'm a siren!) dress, but the powers that be in the realm of fashion don't allow us infinite choice of colours and styles at any given moment, and if I'm spontaneously invited to a wedding there simply might not be anything available in stores at all in an appropriate and flattering non black or red shade.

1 comment:

Andrew Ironwood said...

My take on the fashion question (as a nearly-colorblind male with no inherent sense of fashion) is that the proscription only involves outfits where one of the colors black, white or red *dominates* (so something that mixes them with each other or something else should work).

The slow walker? The only other thing I've ever done in such situations is to 'find' some reason to stop (like retying my shoes) to give the tortoise a little head start (and hope they're eventually turning in a direction I'm not headed...)