Wednesday, May 25, 2005

What the other 90% of the brain does

They say you only use 10% of your brain. I'm pleased to announce that yesterday I located part of the 90% that I don't use. I was playing Jeopardy, and one of the categories was something like "Alphabetically Last" - it gave the name of a set of items, and asked for the thing in that set that was last in alphabetical order. For example, the clue would be "The nine planets in our solar system", and the correct answer would be "Venus". Or the clue would be "South American countries" and the correct answer would be "Venezuela".

As I was trying to mentally list and put in reverse order all the planets or all the south american countries before those super-fast ultimate tournament of champions players answered, I noticed that this was a new part of my brain I was working. I've never used that part of my brain before! It felt exactly like if you learn a new exercise that stretches or exercises a muscle you've never targeted before.

No comments: