Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Quibbling over semantics

The Crown is appealing the sentence of a mother whose toddler died of dehydration after she left her home alone overnight.
Crown prosecutor David Wright had asked for an eight- to 12-year sentence for what he called her "unspeakably evil" crime.
Call me callous, but I don't think that's unspeakably evil. I think you could get a lot more evil than that. Basically she killed her daughter through neglect. It would have been a lot more evil to kill her through a deliberate action, or to torture her, or killed more people, or something else that I'm sure people who are more evil than me could think of. I think it's maybe right on the borderline between evil and horribly selfish/stupid. Maybe I've been having too much RotS lately, but I think you've got to do a lot worse to be unspeakably evil.

2 comments:

The Zombieslayer said...

Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily call her evil, more something even beyond Jerry Springer stupid. But evil's the wrong word.

Anonymous said...

It's just regular old lawyer hyperbole.