Sunday, March 13, 2005

Foiling attempts to live vicariously through me since 2000

As most people reading this know, I'm very shy and introverted. I don't enjoy attention from strangers (or even being the centre of attention among friends) or large group situations where I don't know everyone there. As a result, I rarely go to parties or clubs unless I have mi cielito by my side, and I even tend to avoid bars unless I'm with a safe group of people and no one is out to pick up. (And even then, I do try very hard to avoid any situation where my presence might imply that I'm willing to be hit on). It's not something moral or ethical or puritan, it's just that these situations are simply not fun for me, and I'd rather be at home with a book or chatting quietly with one or two close friends.

The problem is that Certain Relatives have Certain Assumptions about what I do with my private life based on my demographics, and ask me to tell them about all the wild times I've had out enjoying the nightlife and the men I've picked up etc. Then when I tell them I don't really go out that often, they think I'm just not telling them because they are Relatives and I'm really hiding some (by their standards) fabulous life behind my perfectly respectable exterior. Meanwhile, I'm just sitting here looking forward to a quiet evening in with ICQ, a novel and a Merlot, and cowering from invitations to go clubbing with my undergrad classmates. Such is the life of an introvert...

2 comments:

Me said...

You are not alone. Choosing a lifestyle that doesn't revolve around clubbing and taking hundreds of pictures of yourself and your friends with various alcoholic beverages in your hands is both valid and well-advised. You go, girl.

Juliet said...

I'm a total introvert, too (at least from the extroverts' point of view, anyway) -- I'd pick staying in with a good book or movie or just hanging out at a good friend's house anyday over hanging out in a group at a place designed for alcohol and dancing. In my first year of university, living in res, I used to get looks of confusion mixed with slight pity from my roommate who loved to stay out late clubbing and consequently waking up very late the next day (sometimes just in time to go out for more clubbing). She's since slowed down and now finds it amazing that she once spent so much of her time at clubs.