Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Harry Potter theories (contains spoilers for the book covers, which were released today)

I haven't looked at the fan sites beyond a few comments at Leaky, so I don't know if this has been duplicated or disproven or what, but here are my theories:

I think that what Harry and Dumbledore are looking at in the Pensieve is the lion-like guy described earlier by JKR. I also currently suspect that lion-dude is the Half-Blood Prince, although I can be easily swayed by most of the current fan theories both on HBP and on Mr. Lion.

I also think the potions book is related to the HBP, and the author may well be the HBP/Lion Guy. I do think that Harry will be taking Potions, but I think he'll get in by scraping an E in his OWL, not through any special measures. However, I think the Potions book does not simply indicate that Harry will be taking Potions - it has some further purpose.

And my wildest and most unfounded speculation is that the fire-like spell shown on the British edition is the spell that Harry will use to defeat Voldemort. He will master this spell in HBP. It will be an ancient forgotten spell originating from the HBP, who might be long-dead or exiled from the wizarding world.

And BTW, I haven't checked this myself, but someone at Leaky mentioned that if you want ot read the first five books one chapter at a time and finish in time for HBP, today's the day to start. That makes the release of HBP feel so much closer, doesn't it/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello!!

(I'm French and live in Paris... so excuse for my English)

I'm a Harry Potter fan and I've read many of your articles about HP (haven't finished yet!)! they're great!

You said in this note (that you posted quite a long time ago... just after the cover were released. It might be too late to comment on it.) that you thought the potions book on the cover of the british adult edition of book 6 had some further purpose than showing Harry would be taking potions. I just wanted to say I agree!

Have you heard of the HP theory about the fact that JK Rowling might have placed hints of what happens in every book at the end of book 1... many people believe (and I am among them!) each task the trio has to go through to get to the stone at the end on book 1 represents one book. And given that the 6th task is Snape's room... with the seven potions: ahaaaaa...
:0)

Anonymous said...

By the way,I have a French blog (if you're interested in exchanging HP theories with a silly Parisian girl!). you can write in English... no problem. And I'll respond in any language you want (and that I can speak! which really narrows it down! lol). I'd be so happy to have someone with whom I can discuss Harry Potter!

PS: I wrote the message above... :0)