Friday, March 04, 2005

Headlines

It seems four Mounties were killed raiding a marijuana operation. Both my daily newspapers had rather large front-page headlines about this. My first impression, upon seeing the newspapers lying on my doorstep, was "That headline size really looks a bit too sensationalist for this particular newspaper. It makes it look like [a certain other newspaper that I don't read because I find it too sensationalist]."

It then occurred to me that they probably had this very discussion in the newsroom. There were probably a bunch of decision-makers clustered around Layout Guy's computer as he scaled the print size up and down, trying to figure out what it most appropriate. "Come on, Bob! FOUR PEOPLE DIED! You have to make it at least two points bigger than that!"

No comments: