Saturday, April 10, 2004

If all goes well, I will be studying Polish starting next September. What will be interesting is to see how my accent turns out. You see, when I was around the key age for acquiring phonemes, my grandmother babysat me every day while my mother was at work, and my grandmother would always speak to me in Polish. When my sister was born and my grandmother was no longer babysitting me (because my mother was home with the new baby) I lost all exposure to Polish and suddenly couldn't understand it any more. So I did acquire the phonemes at one point, and I don't know if a person loses phonemes after having acquired them (as opposed to the normal process of losing phonemes that one never hears).

So the possibility exists that I might speak basic, struggling, tentative Polish with a flawless accent!

No comments: