Sunday, April 11, 2004

Because of the way my feet are messed up, it is very difficult for me to stand on one foot when I don't have shoes on. When a normal person stands on one foot, they keep their balance by pressing the outer edge of their foot into the ground. However, when I stand and walk normally in bare feet, the outer edge of my foot does not touch the ground at all - only the balls of my feet, my toes, and my heels touch the ground. I can easily stand on one foot in tightly laced running shoes, because the laces sort of hold up the inside edge of my foot and force it to pronate normally, but I can't balance on one foot with no shoes on.

Shoes with straps will support my foot the same way shoes with laces do. It isn't enough to play sports in, but I just discovered that it's enough to let me stand on one foot. So it turns out I can easily balance on one foot in three inch heels as long as they have straps, but I still can't balance on one foot barefoot.

No comments: