Tuesday, February 02, 2010

This must be an analogy for something, I just haven't figured out what yet

I'm currently reading the official biography of the Queen Mother. It seems when the UK was working on creating their National Health Service in the late 1940s, the Queen Mother (who was at that time the actual Queen of England) was opposed to it. Why? Apparently before the National Health came in many hospitals were charity-run, and Her Majesty felt that if the government provides this essential service to everyone who needs it, British subjects might not feel that it's as morally imperative to exercise the Christian virtue of charity.

Overall and in general, she seems very much full of noblesse oblige and not at all an upper-class twit. There have only been two things in the book that made me go WTF (which isn't so bad because it's a big fat book in a completely Other setting and so far all the action has taken place in the first half of the 20th century, when values and attitudes and practices were much different.) But that one just came a slapped me in the face and made me do a triple take.

It must be a useful analogy for something, I just haven't figured out what yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.

impudent strumpet said...

Dude, now you're just taking the piss.