Thursday, February 04, 2010

Things They We Should Invent: Union of Post-Boomer Workers

Conventional wisdom is that there's going to be a talent shortage after the baby boomers all retire. I'm not sure whether I believe this, but in case it is true, we, the workers who will remain, need to think about how we're going to leverage this. If it's going to be a workers' market, it would be the perfect opportunity to restore labour standards to pre-90s-recession levels. Job security. Pensions. Benefits. No contract hell unless you're really into that sort of thing. My grandparents could take an unskilled or semi-skilled job, work hard for decades, make enough to support their family, and retire in their 60s. We should take this upcoming opportunity to create a world where we (and future generations) can enjoy the same quality of life. I have no idea how to do it, but it has to get done.

(Added bonus conspiracy theory: what if the powers that be created the current economic crisis in anticipation of this very worker's market, to create an environment where Good Jobs are seen as asking too much?)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am the kind of guy who loves to try brand-new stuff. Currently I'm manufacturing my own pv panels. I am managing it all by myself without the aid of my men. I'm using the net as the only way to acheive this. I saw a really awesome website that explains how to make photovoltaic panels and wind generators. The website explains all the steps needed for solar panel construction.

I am not exactly sure bout how correct the information given there is. If some people over here who have experience with these works can have a peak and give your feedback in the site it would be grand and I would highly treasure it, because I truly lav solar panel construction.

Tnx for reading this. You guys rock.

Emotion Flow said...

Nice idea, but you should offer the proper solution as well... ;)

laura k said...

This spam is so strange!

Is Emotion Flow also spam, or I just don't understand the comment. What is the "proper solution"?

impudent strumpet said...

If I knew the proper solution, I'd make it happen.

Ashwin said...

I'm quite pessimistic that this will happen given the products' and labour markets are more liberalised than ever. Maybe this can happen only for the very skilled trades though.