Sunday, February 28, 2010

Things They Should Study: does athletic success correlate with religious faith?

Watching Joannie Rochette's short program, I found myself coveting whatever sports psychology she does. I wish I had that mental resilience and focus!

Coincidentally, the next day Rosie DiManno wrote a column about sports psychology, and I realized it would never work on me. I know some people who swear by visualization or mantras or positive thinking, but it doesn't work on me because I know that it's just visualization. I'm not actually doing anything, I'm just picturing stuff in my head.

Within my own mind, in terms of the thoughts and feelings I experience, my inability to do visualization come from the same place as my inability to have religious faith. I know that it is powered solely by believing in it, and because of that I'm unable to believe in it.

Elite athletes are obvious able to believe in it. I wonder if this also means that they're more likely to be capable of religious faith?

5 comments:

Christopher said...

I was watching this program on dreams the other day and it said that dreams are a way for us to work through problems in our mind. That they may seem abstract but they let us deal with real life fears and actions in a controlled setting. Perhaps visualization works like that to? Practice in the mind so to speak. I don't do it either but that thought came to mind.

laura k said...

What's the difference between visualization and just picturing stuff in your head? I sometimes refer to visualizing something, but I wonder if I'm using the word wrong.

Re athletes and religion, interesting concept. So many elite athletes seem to have faith, but then, so many non-athletes do, too.

impudent strumpet said...

I'd assume visualizing is intentional, although sometimes people use them interchangably just to mean drawing up a mental image. I don't think just picturing stuff in your head would get the same alleged results as Visualization, because if it did, many people's sex lives would be far more interesting.

laura k said...

Ha! Yes, but there are those inhibitions between visualizing and doing.

If intentionally creating mental images is visualizing, then I guess that's what I do. When I have a goal that I want to accomplish, I visualize myself completing it. I also use it to recover something by memory - a phone number or conversation.

I am a hardcore atheist, so it never occured to me that this is connected to faith, but I see how it could be.

impudent strumpet said...

Do you find it actively helpful to visualize yourself completing a goal you want to accomplish? If so, are you able to articulate why?