Wednesday, February 10, 2010

In the great tradition of blogging about why I haven't been blogging

One of the boilers in one of the hot water tanks in my building is broken, so hot water has been sporadic these past few days (and I'm just not fit for human consumption without a hot shower in the morning). Property management was very responsive (I sent a WTF email right after I got out of the shower, and by the time I got home in the evening there was signage explaining the problem and with an ETA for fixing it), but it doesn't negate the crankiness caused by unreliable hot water.

The zipper on the beautiful new cover for my beautiful new duvet completely broke, rendering it useless only one week after I bought it, so I have to go back to the store and convince them to do something for me about that even though linens are (understandably) non-returnable. I will be blogging about the customer service I receive, either way.

In the process of dumping my coffee grounds in the garbage like I've done every day for the past decade, I somehow managed to throw the whole filter basket in the garbage (rather than just inverting it and dumping the filter). Without noticing or realizing I did it. And I threw the garbage bag down the chute. And didn't notice until the next morning when I went to make coffee and the filter basket just wasn't there. So now I have to replace my coffee maker. Anyone know where I can get a small (4ish cup) coffee maker with a timer?

I just found out that RRSP deadline is March 1. I thought it was March 31. I'm scheduled to diversify this year, so now I have to educate myself and set up a whole new RRSP within just a couple of weeks.

The writers are consistently under-estimating how long it will take them to finish the texts. The printer deadline is inflexible. Guess who has to do frantic, panicked overtime? I can't produce work that I can be proud of under these conditions, but it's more important to the client to have something suboptimal by deadline than something perfect after deadline. So I braindump as fast as I can type, turning around an hour's worth of work in 10 minutes, and come out of it sounding like a total n00b who hasn't yet mastered when to depart from the source text. In print and readily googleable. I am SO glad my name isn't on it!

I spilled pickle brine all over my kitchen floor yesterday. Now my floor needs hardcore scrubbing.

Plus I hate all my clothes, the rate at which new wrinkles are appearing on my face is faster than the rate at which I can adapt to and gracefully accept them, and my fridge smells and I don't know why.

And Mercury isn't even in retrograde!

5 comments:

Christopher said...

I'm firmly convinced there's no hot, running water in hell.

laura k said...

OMG. Insane. Especially the coffee part!

If I were you, I'd postpone the RRSP diversification for a while, make your contribution to the same old thing, then diversify in 3 or 6 months or whenever you can. It won't throw your retirement plan off by much.

Of course, I'm not you, but that deadline pressure jumped out as me as not strictly necessary.

laura k said...

Nice that Beddington's came through, though. By virtue of getting caught up on your posts weekly, I can know that at least turned out okay.

impudent strumpet said...

I've already postponed the RRSP thing - I was supposed to do it last April after I did my taxes! But it's on its way to being solved. I used the tried-and-true method of going crying to my mommy for help, and in 24 hours she had 10 months of financial emotional drama turned into a spreadsheet and a set of simple instructions. It's so convenient when my parents turn out smarter than me!

laura k said...

Wow, that's great. I'd ask a squirrel in the backyard for financial advice before I'd ask my mother.