Friday, February 26, 2010

Question I wish I could ask religious people

Suppose there's someone who is completely unable to believe in your deity, despite all the convincing evidence otherwise. They just can't, any more than they can lick their own elbow.

Would your deity prefer that person pretend to believe, going through all the motions in order to convince the people around them (and the deity) and they are in fact a devout member of your religion? Or would your deity rather that person live honestly as an atheist?

3 comments:

laura k said...

I have wondered this so often.

I think they don't believe that we can't believe, that's it not a choice, it's who we are. They think if we believed hard enough, we'd believe.

paleandnerdy said...

I'm not religious, but I do believe in God, and I'd say that living your truth is the best thing possible. The understand of God I have is not compatible with living a lie and pretending to believe.

However, there is a 12-step concept of "acting as if", which means that if you have trouble formulating a concept of a Higher Power, you should just behave as if God (of your understanding) did exist. This concept exists because believing in a Power Greater Than Yourself, however you define it, is essential to recovery from addiction in the 12-step model.

impudent strumpet said...

In 12-step, if faking it is good enough, why do they make believing in a higher power a step? Why don't they instead make the step the specific desired behaviours resulting from believing in a high power, whatever they are?