Sunday, February 04, 2007

Tolkien linguistics

When I was taking sociolinguistics, I did a lot of work on code-switching. I internalized most of the main reasons for code-switching (I used to be able to rattle off with absolute certainty and provide examples for the top ten reasons for code-switching. Now I'd give it a shot, but I'd check the textbook before writing a paper about it or anything.)

I just noticed that in LOTR, whenever Aragon is speaking Elvish and then switches back into English, it's a natural code-switch. Every time, he has a reason from the top ten list. I might do the same thing if I were in the same situation speaking French to a bilingual francophone.

I knew that Tolkien was a linguist, but I never realized before that there was such attention to detail. I just took it as an excuse for him to use the languages he created.

2 comments:

Idealistic Pragmatist said...

You know what's particularly interesting about that? Lord of the Rings was published before any of the research in code-switching was ever done, and in fact before the term 'code-switching' (or even 'sociolinguistics') was ever coined. So Tolkien must have been working solely from instincts that happened to have been completely accurate.

impudent strumpet said...

Whoa!!!

**jaw drops**
**mind boggles**

I hope I grow up to be even 1/100th as smart as Tolkien! When I foray into fiction, I can't even get a character to walk across the room convincingly!