Friday, February 16, 2007

The 10th anniversary of the relationship that has had the greatest effect on my life

Ten years ago, I got my very own internet access for the first time. (Yes, I'm saying the internet has had a greater effect on my life than mi cielito, because without the internet I would never have met mi cielito).

What astounds me in retrospect is how small it all was back then.

The very first thing I did the very first time I dialed up was go to Yahoo (there being no Google at the time) and do a search for Monty Python. I forget how many results I got (a few pages worth), but I know that I managed to read site Yahoo turned up for Monty Python, in its entiretey, within a few weeks. Yes, in a few weeks I had managed to read every single word that was written on the Web about Monty Python.

In the online communities I visited, I read every posting. Every single one. And it was perfectly acceptable to email just anyone on the sole basis that you'd read their site or one of their web postings.

I looked up Square One Television, a childhood favourite; I found no sign that it had ever existed. Now there are 500 Google results for "Square One Television", and another 50,000 for "Square One TV".

There was a time when I self-taught myself all the HTML in the world, and that was enough to build a serviceable Web page. (My lack of design abilities was still a problem, but I had the technical skills down.) I still know HTML, but I'd probably have to take a course to get my overall skill set to a point where I could make Web pages that will stand up to 2007.

*Sigh*, the good old days...

No comments: