Friday, February 02, 2007

I dreamed about the new apartment last night

Last night I dreamed that I went to look at my new apartment - the one specific suite that (IRL) I want the most but don't know yet if it's going to be in my price range. I wandered in unilaterally to look at the suite, rather than going as part of my appointment.

I looked around and it was much bigger than I thought. Like ridiculously big - I couldn't see where the kitchen was because the main room was too big. I looked out the window, and saw that the building had a huge backyard - like just a giant patch of grass with a wooden fence around it like the one around my parents' backyard. (IRL it definitely does not have a backyard, and even if it did my parents' fence would be way out of place.) There was also a big chart on the wall telling you the names of the people in all the other apartments in the building.

Then I reached into my purse and took out my bed and my desk, and started placing them in different places around the room to see what they'd look like, all while looking over my shoulder to make sure I didn't get caught.

Then the neighbours dropped by. The first people came by with this awesome big dog, and let it run loose in my apartment. It made a beeline for my bed, and I was afraid it was going to hurt my stuffed animals because I'd just left them lying around, not thinking there would be a huge dog in my apartment. I was all "Your dog is awesome and I'm happy to meet him, but can you at least give me some warning?" Then all the other neighbours also came in, wandering through my apartment to see what it would look like. This one guy decided to take his sweater off, and left it on my bed. I asked him to take the discarded sweater with him ("Dude, I don't want your sweater, and my boyfriend's not going to be thrilled to see another man's clothes lying on my bed...") but he refused.

By that time it was apparent that, despite my meddling neighbours, everyone thought this was my apartment. Maybe I could just keep it! The only problem was, I had no idea how much the rent was. If only there was some way to find out without revealing that I didn't actually belong there yet! Just then, a rental agent walked in, and told me that my mother had talked to her (my mother isn't involved IRL) and negotiated a lower rent, so I could now afford the apartment. But the rental agent thought I already had the apartment too, so she didn't give me a lease to sign or tell me how much my new rent was. So I was stuck squatting in this apartment, unable to pay my rent because I didn't know how much it was, with all my neighbours walking through, a big dog running around out of control, and a strange man leaving his clothes on my bed.

Then my alarm went off.

No comments: